COVID-19 and Dairy Co-operatives – A Qualitative Assessment using Focus Group DiscussionsMay 23, 2023 2023-06-24 11:08
COVID-19 and Dairy Co-operatives – A Qualitative Assessment using Focus Group Discussions
S. N. Tripathy
The present paper with the help of secondary sources of data attempts to capture the major events that shaped the course of cooperative movements in Odisha. The paper portrays the prevailing socio-economic factors and key events which contributed to the development of cooperatives in different phases and its genesis and growth trend in Odisha in the national perspectives.
- Bengal under the Lieutenant-Governors, Vol. I. In C. Buckland – Northcok, S. (n.d.).
- Madras Provincial Banking Enquiry Committee Report, 5 Vols. Madras. – Government of Madras. (1930).
- Contractual Labour in Agricultural Sector. Discovery Publishing. – Tripathy, S. (2000).
- Co-operative Movement in Odisha: Highlights of Progress. Odisha Review, February – March, 51-54. – Senapati, S. (2012).
- Annual Activity Report 2018-19. Cooperation Department. – Government of Odisha.
Cooperatives Movements, Rural credit, Money lenders, Farmers.
Girish Mangleek, A. K. Tiwary, Anshu Singh, Sonal Kadam
To restrict the spread of COVID-19, country wide lockdowns were imposed by governments across the countries impacting export, import and consumption of milk & milk products in different ways. In India, imposition of restrictions for the control of COVID-19 pandemic affected supply as well as demand of the milk for dairy co-operatives.
The research conducted was exploratory and qualitative in nature. The research relies on both, primary as well as secondary data. Focus Group Discussion was used to collect primary data. FGDs were divided into two groups. First group included Board of Directors and Managing Directors along with Employees of selected milk unions. Further, Dairy Farmers of respective milk unions formed second group. Two rounds were conducted of each FGD with 19 questions.
Though, during lockdown, milk production, collection, processing and marketing did not stop, negative consequences were seen on the business of co-operative milk unions, private dairies and dairy farmers. Co-operative milk unions, village level milk societies and dairy farmers collectively tackled this pandemic situation.
It was observed that, there have not been any major policy changes undertaken by milk unions after COVID-19 pandemic. Therefore, it is suggested that, they should make strong policy changes like maintaining special funds to face such unprecedented events in future.
- Acosta, A., Mccorriston, S., Nicolli, F., Venturelli, E., Wickramasinghe, U., Arcediaz, E., …&Steinfeld, H. (2021). Immediate Effects Of COVID19 On The Global Dairy Sector. Agricultural Systems, 192, 103177.
- Akyildiz, S. T., & Ahmed, K. H. An Overview Of Qualitative Research And Focus Group Discussion. International Journal Of Academic Research In Education, 7(1), 1-15.
- Annual Report Of Pune Zilha Sahakari Dudh Utpadak Sangh, Katraj (Pune) (2020-21).
- Barman, A., Das, R., & De, P. K. (2021). Impact Of COVID-19 In Food Supply Chain: Disruptions And Recovery Strategy. Current Research InBehavioral Sciences, 2, 100017.
- Chandel, B. S., Dixit, A. K., SINGH, A., & DEVI, A. (2020). Economic Analysis Of The Impact Of COVID-19 Lockdown On Indian Dairy Sector. Agricultural Situation In India, 21-27.
- Committee for the promotion and advancements of co-operatives. http:// www.copac.coop/data-explorer
- Copley, A., Decker, A., Delavelle, F., Goldstein, M., O’Sullivan, M., &Papineni, S. (2020). COVID-19 Pandemic Through A Gender Lens.
- De Hoop, T., Desai, S., Siwach, G., Holla, C., Belyakova, Y., Paul, S., & Singh, R. J. (2020). Women’s Groups And COVID-19: Challenges, Engagement, And Opportunities.
- De Vito, A., & Gómez, J. P. (2020). Estimating The COVID-19 Cash Crunch: Global Evidence And Policy. Journal Of Accounting And Public Policy, 39(2), 106741.
- Deepak, G. A Qualitative Inquiry Into Coping Mechanism Adopted By Kudumbashree SHG In Northern. Economic Survey, 2021-22. Available Online At- https://www.indiabudget.gov.in/economicsurvey/Enwa, S., &Ewuzie, P. (2020, October). Assessment Of Agricultural Cooperative
- Societies Role In Poverty Reduction And Welfare Provisions For Members Amidst Extant Covid-19 Pandemic Of Selected Ecowas Countries. In AEC International Conference 2020 (P. 191). Department Of Agricultural Economics, University Of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria.
- FAO (Food And Agriculture Organization Of The United Nations). (2020). Responding To The Impact Of The COVID-19 Outbreak On Food Value Chains Through Efficient Logistics [Online]. Http://Www.Fao.Org/ 3/Ca8466en/ CA8466EN.Pdf.
- George, J. A Socio Economic Impact Study Of Rural Women Self Help Groups In Methukummal Village In Tamil Nadu.
- Goel, R. K., Saunoris, J. W., &Goel, S. S. (2021). Supply Chain Performance And Economic Growth: The Impact Of COVID-19 Disruptions. Journal Of Policy Modeling, 43(2), 298-316.
- Grida, M., Mohamed, R., &Zaied, A. N. H. (2020). Evaluate The Impact Of COVID-19 Prevention Policies On Supply Chain Aspects Under Uncertainty. Transportation Research Interdisciplinary Perspectives, 8, 100240.
- Jaim, J. (2021). Exist Or Exit? Women Business-Owners In Bangladesh During COVID-19. Gender, Work & Organization, 28, 209-226.
- Kumar R. (2014). Research Methodology.SAGE Publication.Pg. No.156-157. Maheshwari, G., &Maheshwari, A. (2021). Growing Inequalities In The Covid-19 Pandemic And Their Effect On Women Entrepreneurship: A Case Of Vietnam. International Entrepreneurship Review, 7(4), 65-73.
- Mishra, L. (2016). Focus group discussion in qualitative research. Techno Learn, 6(1), 1.
- NABARD (2020), ‘Impact Assessment Of COVID-19 On Indian Agriculture And Rural Economy’.Available online at- https://www.nabard.org/auth/ writereaddata/Flipbook/2020/impact-assessment-of-covid-on-indianagriculture-and-rural-economy/index.html.
- OECD, Supporting Livelihoods During The Covid-19 Crisis: Closing The Gaps In Safety Nets, Http://Www.Oecd.Org/Coronavirus/En. OECD. 2020. SME Policy Responses-OECD. Organisation For Economic Co-Operation And Development. May 19. Https://Read.OecdIlibrary.Org/View/?Ref = 119_119680-Di6h 3qgi4x&Title = Covid 19_SME_Policy_Responses Phillipson, J., Gorton, M., Turner, R., Shucksmith, M., Aitken-Mcdermott, K., Areal, F., … &Shortall, S. (2020). The COVID-19 Pandemic And Its Implications For Rural Economies. Sustainability, 12(10), 3973.
- Qingbin, W. A. N. G., Liu, C. Q., Zhao, Y. F., Kitsos, A., Cannella, M., Wang, S. K., & Lei, H. A. N. (2020). Impacts Of The COVID-19 Pandemic On The Dairy Industry: Lessons From China And The United States And Policy Implications. Journal Of Integrative Agriculture, 19(12), 2903-2915.
- Rajendran, K., &Mohanty, S. (2004). Dairy Co-Operatives And Milk Marketing In India: Constraints And Opportunities. Journal Of Food Distribution Research, 35(856-2016-56967), 34-41.
- Rawal, V., Kumar, M., Verma, A., &Pais, J. (2020). COVID-19 Lockdown: Impact On Agriculture And Rural Economy. Society For Social And Economic Research, 13(2), 34.
- Sangem, M. (2020). Challenges For Women Entrepreneurs In The Wake Of COVID-19 Pandemic. Journal Of Interdisciplinary Cycle Research, 12(11), 279-284.
- Sharma, R., Shishodia, A., Kamble, S., Gunasekaran, A., &Belhadi, A. (2020). Agriculture Supply Chain Risks And COVID-19: Mitigation Strategies And Implications For The Practitioners. International Journal Of Logistics Research And Applications, 1-27.
- Singh, B. P. (2020). Impact Of COVID-19 On Rural Economy In India. Available At SSRN 3609973.
- Singh, M. Analysing The Impact Of Novel Corona Virus (Covid 19) On Self Help Groups. Singh, S., Kumar, R., Panchal, R., &Tiwari, M. K. (2021). Impact Of COVID-19 On Logistics Systems And Disruptions In Food Supply Chain. International Journal Of Production Research, 59(7), 1993-2008.
- Staniforth, J. (2020). COVID-19 Update: Worker Health, Absenteeism Present Largest Risks To US Food Supply Chain. Food Quality And Safety. Available Online: Https://Www. Foodqualityandsafety. Com/Article/ Covid-19-Update-Worker-Health-And-Absenteeism-Present-LargestRisk-To-Us-Food-Supply-Chain/(Accessed On 15 March 2020).
- Stephens, E. C., Martin, G., Van Wijk, M., Timsina, J., & Snow, V. (2020). Impacts Of COVID-19 On Agricultural And Food Systems Worldwide And On Progress To The Sustainable Development Goals. Agricultural Systems, 183, 102873.
- Tewari, D. B., Gautam, U., Saxena, C., &Verma, A. (2022). Self-Help Groups (Shgs) Role In Promotion Of Women Entrepreneur: A Saga Of Pandemic Era. Journal Of Positive School Psychology, 6(2), 936-947.
- WHO (World Health Organization). (2020c). WHO Director-General’s Opening Remarks At The Media Briefing On COVID-19 [Online]. https:// www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-openingremarksat-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19—11-march-2020.
COVID-19, Dairy co-operatives, Pandemic, Supply chain FGD.